
Finally Criminal Minds was back!
So how was that season 6 premiere? Let’s get this out of the way now, as a season premiere we have had much better with the season 4 and 5 premieres. In season 4 we had the 'whose SUV blew up?!' and in season 5 we had 'did the Reaper killed Hotch?!' Those episodes had suspense. "The Longest Night" didn't as we knew Morgan lived. As a viewer to get excited at a CM season opener, I need to care all summer about what will happen to either a team member or the team. One can argue that here CM was aiming at the viewers wondering all summer what impact Detective Spicer's murder, the aunt’s rape and the kidnapping of Spicer's daughter would have on Morgan. That is a fine goal but that does not have the same impact as 'was Reid the one blown to pieces?!' I guess what I am saying is as I am not a Morgan fan, whatever happen to him had less of an importance to me than what happens to Hotch or what would happen to Prentiss or Reid or even Rossi! Personal preferences aside, let’s have a look at the episode.
The story. Billy Flynn has been killing for almost all his life, leaving in his wake a trail of dead bodies and orphaned kids. That is until he decided for some strange reason he needed a side kick. He goes after Detective Spicer whose parents he had killed years ago. He kills Spicer, rapes his sister who later dies from her injuries, and then kidnaps Spicer 8 year old daughter. The BAU has to catch Flynn before he kills again or kills Ellie Spicer.
As a story this one suffered not from the case, but from how some of the characters were written.
First, Ellie was not believable as an 8 year old. She was reacting more like a 12 year old or older. Also, after witnessing her aunt being raped and beaten, a FBI agent get beaten, and her dad being murdered, I would have expected her to be in shell shock. Instead she gets all
smart and provokes Flynn at every chance. Why didn't Flynn kill her then? She, like Morgan, does not fear Flynn and Flynn will kill those who fear him. Also, the Ellie character didn't work on another level, the actress was often smirking, and not a reaction I would expect a child this young to have.
Second, Hotch was a bit out of character especially when dealing with Morgan. Isn't Hotch the Unit Chief now? If so, knowing how affected Morgan was by the case, just seeing Morgan snap at Garcia should have been a BIG warning sign for Hotch. Hotchr should have kept Morgan either off the case or at least at the police station. Why would Hotch even let Morgan go into the house to confront an UNSUB who the profile predicted would do a suicide by cop? Hotch knew what would happen and should have sent someone else with a cooler head into that house. Maybe they would have had to shoot Flynn but at least it wouldn't look like an execution! Really Morgan, 9 rounds at close range when the guy had no body armor? A big overkill.
Third, didn’t like the way Morgan did manipulate Hotch so he (Hotch) would let Morgan go into the house to kill Flynn. Saying how they did support Hotch in the Foyet case was a cheap shot aimed at making Hotch feel guilty. It worked, Hotch, against his better judgment did let Morgan go, alone, into the house. If the writer’s, Ed Bernero, goal was to show us that Hotch is human and can be manipulated through his emotions and to show us that Morgan is not above manipulating people, even those he is supposed to have trust and respect, to get his revenge over a serial killer who had the better on him, then bravo, that goal was attained. But know this Ed, now I do not view Morgan as well as I use to and his actions reinforce my belief that he was never a good Unit Chief and could never be one.
Those were points were what I didn't like about the episode but I like lots of things about it so let’s have a look:
First, Love how JJ battled with the bureaucracy! Poor JJ, her job can be so frustrating at times! Her talk to Flynn over the radio was poignant and well acted by AJ Cook. Sure CM went with the mother angle, again, for JJ but in this instance it was clear that with Flynn 'guilt' (if any serial killer can feel any) was the only thing that would have worked.
Second, Tim Curry! I mean when you cast Mr. Curry as a serial killer you cannot go wrong! He played Billy Flynn just perfectly. Flynn was creepy, not really scary just the way I would have imagined. Third, Despite Morgan being an ass I like that he lost it to a point he snapped at Garcia. He might be the action hero on CM but even action heroes have their bad days. Four, loved the music, Leonard Cohen and Tim Curry somehow fit.
So, even if Ellie was not a great character, I sure hope the writers will not use her too much in the upcoming episodes (see the TVGuide article about the season premiere), even if Hotch was way out of character, I still like the episode and will give it a 7 out 10.
1 comment:
Great comments. I too hated how Morgan manipulated Hotch by throwing what happened to Hotch back in his face. That was so unnecessary and wrong. It threw Hotch off his game, I hated that he did that.
I really think this would have been a better epiosde if Erica Messer had written it. The continuity would have been better.
Post a Comment